Graphic from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIUx-HmQbw&list=PL1N57mwBHtN2q1WbU5O29rrn_A0lkVv9p&index=3
I think learning should be fun! And, for me, Microsoft made a lesson on learning how to do queries in Microsoft Power BI a lot of fun by using the query on the IMDB database. I love movies and I use the IMDb database often so I enjoyed the way the lesson categorizes movies.
Want to learn how to start using the Power BI tool? Well, you can either start by going to the Learn page at the Power BI website at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-0-0-what-is-power-bi/
Or, you you can go directly to the Power BI Desktop videos, and watch the short movies that also appear on YouTube. The IMDb example is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIUx-HmQbw.
For folks that work with Dynamics GP 2016, these short learning sequences are a great way to discover the ease of creating Power BI reports from a data source.
Graphic from https://powerbi.microsoft.com
Microsoft announced the following updates for Power BI for July. The announcement comes from Filip Karadzic, Senior Program Manager, from the blog announcements page at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-feature-summary/.
- Predefined table styles
- ShapeMap can use custom maps
- New Data Connectors:
- Amazon Redshift (Import + DirectQuery) (Preview)
- Impala (Import) (Preview)
- Improvements to existing data connectors:
- Support for specifying a Command Timeout via the UX
- CSV/Text – Support for Fixed-Width delimited files
- SAP BW connector improvements:
QUERY EDITING IMPROVEMENTS:
- Ability to use R scripts in Query Editor
- Query Parameters – List Query output as “allowed values” for a parameter
- Ability to overwrite existing user-defined functions
Graphics from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/
What is Microsoft Power BI
“What is Power BI?” Microsoft defines it as
“Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools to analyze data and share insights. Monitor your business and get answers quickly with rich dashboards available on every device.
Where Can I Get More Information on Microsoft Power BI?
Microsoft has created a web site for Power BI at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/. You can find out everything you need to know about the product at this site.
You can also stay updated with all the new features by checking the Microsoft Power BI Blog at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/.
Why Do I Need To Know About Power BI?
Power BI integration to Dynamics GP is a new feature in Dynamics GP 2016. The big question that all GP users have is about the benefit of Power BI. The benefit is that users can now connect data to the HOME page, and produce reports and dashboards similar to the way reports and dashboards can be built in SSRS reports.
Prerequisites for GP Users To Use Power BI
– You have access to Power BI and at least one report is available.
– You are able to log in to the Power BI site and view a report.
– You are creating your own Power BI reports\charts.
– You are using the GP 2016 desktop client.