Figure 1 – Visual image of what a Sandbox environment looks like when a Sandbox is installed on a PC (Image from Comodo.com)
I have some testing that I want to do on my laptop, and I was looking for the safest way to create an environment for completing this testing. I know that I can use the Hyper-V on my Windows 10. However, I am finding that it is not so user friendly. I wanted something really easy.
I found a great article on www.maketecheasier.com called “5 of the Best Sandbox Applications for Windows 10” https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-sandbox-applications-windows10/.
If you are wanting to create a Sandbox environment to test out software, take a look at the article.
Let me know which sandbox app that you choose with some feedback on how it works for you.
Recently, I have had to import lots of different data for clients. They give me Excel worksheets that are full of names, numbers and telephone numbers. If you are working with Dynamics NAV or GP, you know that some of the fields can be very fussy in the import. Dynamics AX is more forgiving. I clean up the data, and get it ready.
Most clients ask me how I clean up columns, especially phone numbers. If you use Excel a lot, you will know these formulas or tricks. This post is for those who do not have to do this very often, and need some help.
1. Using Excel to change Words from All CAP to All lowercase, or to PROPER
- you can use the UPPER, LOWER, or PROPER functions to automatically change the case of existing text to uppercase, lowercase, or proper case.
- First, insert a temporary column next to the column that contains the text you want to convert
- In the temporary column, for example, cell B2, type =PROPER(A2)
- The other choices are =UPPER(A2) or =LOWER(A2)
Now, all of the names, countries, states, provinces, etc. can have standardized type.
2. Removing spaces and symbols in a phone number
- Often we get a list of telephone numbers that look like this
- To get rid of the (, ), –, Ext. 0000, use the find and replace function
- To get rid of the space, use the find and replace, using the space bar
- Press Ctrl + Space to select all cells in a column.
- Press Ctrl + H to open the “Find & Replace” dialog box.
- Press Space bar in the Find What field and make sure the “Replace with” field is empty.
3. Filling in the extension on a phone number
- Now you want to add trailing zeroes to make all the numbers with a fixed length, such as 14 digits for a telephone number in Canada and the US
- Create a blank column right of the existing phone number
- Use the EXCEL function =A2&REPT(“0”,14-LEN(A2)) where “A” represents the column with the telephone number in it
- The results are
Posted in Dynamics AX, Dynamics GP, Dynamics NAV, Excel, How To, Microsoft, Working
- Tagged Dynamics AX, Dynamics GP, Dynamics NAV, Excel, How To, Tips and Tricks